The South Collegiate Alumni Association was founded in 1999, with the following purposes:
General: To help South Collegiate maintain a high standard of academic and athletic excellence through financial aid and advice, and to provide a formal structure for the ongoing development of relationships between all those who have been a part of South Collegiate throughout its history.
- To provide scholarships, bursaries, and prizes for scholastic achievement;
- To lend assistance to the ongoing operations of the school through financial contributions, as well as through instructional, consultative, management, and advisory contributions.;
- To assist the school in various forms of commemorative activities;
- To assist the school in providing public activities that may benefit the community of London South.
Annual General Meeting: Usually the first Wednesday of May
Membership fee: $20 annually (guarantees delivery of the newsletter)
Executive committee (elected for 3-year term in May 2021)
|President||Pete Telford (staff 1978-1998) [until after the 2022 reunion]|
|Past-president||Knute Dohnberg (1965)|
|Vice-president||Lynne Hevey (1974) [continuing for 1 year]|
|Treasurer||Norma Evans (staff 2000-2017)|
|Newsletter Editor||Connie (Woods) Weir (1966)|
|Secretary||Barbara Hoover (1972) |
[1-year interim appointment while Judy Sumner (1968) takes a leave of absence]
|Director||Ross Spettigue (1962)|
|Director||Ken Ramer (1970)|
|Director||JoEllen Wright (1981)|
|Director||Mike Bloxam (2001)|
|Director||Nick Jaremko (2020)|
|Staff Liaison||Stacey Farr|
A summary of activities of the South Collegiate Alumni Association (May 2018 – May 2019)
- Published 2 editions (Fall 2018 and Spring 2019) of Lions’ Pride, the SCAA newsletter. These editions were post-mailed to 400 recipients, and e-mailed to 1800.
- Provided funding for the framing and mounting of several archival photographs showing various aspects of life at South in past decades. These items have been hung in the corridor outside the library, and will be joined in future by a rotating roster of similar photos
- For the eleventh consecutive year the SCAA hosted a booth at the Wortley Village Gathering on the Green in June. This resulted in hundreds of contacts being made with former staff and students of South, and also netted us several sales of South memorabilia, old yearbooks, and copies of Prowl the Pride and Knowing No Defeat, along with sponsorship donations.
- With the help of a grad volunteer and the South technical department, a massive project was launched to digitize hundreds of photographs from the school’s archives and catalogue them so they may be safely stored and easily retrieved whenever needed.
- 18 money awards, funded by the Alumni Association, were presented to graduating students in the Class of 2018 who achieved over 90% in their graduating year. Two other graduating students were presented with our “Scholar of the Year” award, and our “South Anniversary Award” (for participation and scholarship). Also, South teacher Tim Johnston was presented with our “75th Anniversary Award”.
- The SCAA website (www.southalumni.ca), which had become somewhat outdated was thoroughly revised to make it more user-friendly and better adapted to mobile usage. Several new features were added, in response to suggestions from our alumni base.
- Provided organizational structure to the South class of 1968 for their 50th anniversary celebration, which was held in September, with over 60 former students and staff in attendance.
We are constantly seeking to improve our communication with alumni, through our website (www.southalumni.ca), our newsletter (Lions’ Pride), and our Registry (up-dated by Class Reps).